You just created mind-blowing content! The best of the best, which Harry from Marketing believes will pull in more leads. You upload it and sit back to watch the leads roll in.
The thing is, you missed one major detail—content distribution.
According to Internet Live Stats, over 6 million blog posts are published daily. This means that the possibility of your target audience finding your content by themselves is slim. With each new content uploaded, your dreams of generating more traffic and leads become even smaller.
This is where content distribution comes in. It gives your content more chances of being seen by the audience it deserves. By distributing in the right channels, you can make the most out of each content and smash your content marketing goals.
Here are some of the best ways to distribute your content.
11 Content Distribution Channels to Promote your Content
- Social media
- Paid advertising
- Niche communities and forums
- Email marketing
- Influencer marketing
- Video streaming platforms
- Guest posting
- Content syndication platforms
- Podcast hosting platforms
Social media is one of the largest content distribution channels. With over 4.33 billion users worldwide, publishing your content on major social media networks like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram can help you reach a large audience ready to consume and share your content.
There is no one-fits-all when it comes to social media distribution, but here are some ways to promote your content on social media:
- Share on social media immediately after you publish the blog post. Share after a few hours or days. Adweek suggests tweeting within 6-24 hours after the first post and again after a couple of days. Coschedule recommends sharing:
- Once or more on the published day
- Again on the next day
- Three days later
- A week after
- And then, two weeks later.
- Opt for hours when your audience is most active.
- Adjust the content format to each platform.
- Share your blog regularly with varying copies.
- Respond to comments, tags, and messages.
- Engage with the content of relevant accounts.
- Tag niche influencers who you think would be interested in your post.
- Reshare evergreen content periodically, ideally at a 2-3 months interval
- Run ads on your best-performing posts.
- Repurpose high-performing content into infographics, podcasts, video series, slides, and ebooks.
Paid advertising is one of the best ways to improve your brand visibility and rank for difficult keywords. It exposes your content to a much larger audience you may not reach through organic efforts.
Keep in mind that paid ads are not magic wands. Producing quality content your audience would love to read is crucial. Complement paid distribution with a well-rounded SEO strategy to get the best results.
Some popular paid advertising channels include sponsored content, social ads, pay-per-click (PPC), and influencer marketing. Choose whichever one that’s best suited to your marketing objectives and make the most out of it.
With over 300 million monthly active users, Quora is a valuable resource for content marketing. It’s a Q&A site for feedback, advice, and recommendations on any topic. These questions and answers make it to the SERPs when people are searching for related topics. Therefore, strategically distributing your content can help to boost leads and traffic.
To promote your content on Quora:
- Optimize your profile to showcase your expertise.
- Follow topics within your industry.
- Find relevant questions and give valuable answers with links to your helpful blog content. Avoid spamming.
- Search for your product or solutions you offer and join in on those conversations.
Niche Communities and Forums
If you offer products or services in a highly specialized field, distributing in niche forums is what you need. These communities give you access to dedicated members who can become your loyal readers or qualified leads. Not just prospects, you can also meet professionals or tap into information that’ll contribute to the growth of your business.
Look out for the active groups—whether small or medium-sized. It could be on Facebook, LinkedIn, Slack, or platforms like GrowthHackers and Hacker News. Engage with others to build relationships and authority, and then share your content or product in cases where it would be helpful.
Yes, your blog is a distribution channel. However, creating content and hitting the publish button is not enough. You need to optimize your blog and content in a way that makes it more visible and shareable. Here are some ways to optimize your blog for content distribution:
- Create a content marketing strategy that aligns with your marketing goals.
- Format your post for readability.
- Optimize for SEO.
- Add relevant multimedia.
- Enable social shares or plugins like Click To Tweet.
- Include CTAs.
- Choose a responsive web design.
- Optimize for desktop and mobile view.
Need an actionable strategy that helps you rank better? Here’s a Free SEO Marketing Plan for you.
Commonly referred to as the “front page of the internet”, Reddit is made up of forums where people can share news and content on various topics. Users make submissions that can be downvoted or upvoted to the front page, giving you tons of traffic to your link. Just like on Quora, you can share links, text, or images.
Redditors are sensitive to overly promotional or biased content. Therefore, share valuable content that’s relevant to each subreddit. Here’s how to distribute content on Reddit:
- Set up your profile. Go for real rather than marketing-oriented.
- Join relevant subreddits. Opt for niche communities if your goal is qualified leads, and general subreddits if you prefer traffic instead.
- Vote or leave insightful comments on other posts (adding credible links, if possible).
- Post some of your content (links) and also lots of helpful content from others.
- Reply comments on your posts.
- Run ads to boost performance.
- Create a subreddit for your products to collect and address customer feedback, questions, and suggestions.
- Go through the Reddit guidelines known as Redditquette to avoid getting banned.
Email marketing is the third most popular distribution channel. According to the Content Marketing Institute, up to 87% of marketers distribute content through Email. This is because Email marketing has a 4400% return on investment, giving an average of $44 for each $1 spent (Campaign Monitor).
Whether you’re sharing promotional content, brand stories, or guides & blogs, you can easily share relevant content to your email list to nurture leads. To effectively distribute your content through email marketing:
- Segment your email list for a personalized experience.
- Find out the optimal time to share weekly/daily. newsletters and stick to it
- Automate your email marketing to easily notify readers about your new content.
- Resend to readers who missed the initial mail.
- Use a catchy subject line with a teaser sentence. about the post in the intro
- Add actionable CTAs and links to the blog post.
- Enable social shares.
- Create or convert popular valuable posts to lead magnets.
- Monitor email metrics like open rates, downloads, engagement rates, and click-through rates to track the performance of your content.
Influential voices in your niche are also great content promoters. They have a loyal following and the authority to drive traffic to your site by simply talking about your product/service or sharing it.
Seek out influencers like subject-matter experts, bloggers, content creators, or brands within your niche to help amplify your content. Don’t just approach them about promoting your content without giving value. Build a long-lasting relationship for future opportunities. To do this, you have to:
- Search for influencers who have shared similar posts from your competitors. You can also search out new opportunities instead.
- Engage in their posts.
- Mention them or their website in your content or social media post and ask for their opinion.
- You can also reach out to inform them that you mentioned them in your post.
- Once they respond and share or engage on your post, repeat the cycle till you build a relationship with them. This way, they’d be willing to amplify your content without you having to mention them in the future.
Video Streaming Platforms
84% of consumers say they have bought a product or service after watching a video (Wyzowl). But if no one sees your video, then you can’t cash in on its ROI. Just like text-based content, you need to promote your video content to get it in front of prospects and leads.
Here are some ways to distribute your video content:
- Post on streaming sites like YouTube and Vimeo.
- Embed the link in your newsletters.
- Add videos to your blog posts.
- Repurpose them to on-demand webinars or resources for opt-ins.
- Post on social media platforms and include captions or subtitles.
- Run paid ads.
- Post on online groups and forums.
- Add videos to your landing pages.
- Reach out to influencers or brands for collaboration.
- Repurpose them into short clips, Facebook stories, IG stories, reels, etc
- Upload to your knowledge base as a resource for onboarding, tutorials, use cases, and more.
- Be a guest on other people’s videos.
The goal of content distribution is to expose your content to a wider audience. Guest posting hits this target squarely. Contributing content to high-quality blogs not only helps you to build credibility and authority but also:
- Reach a new larger target audience
- Gain backlinks to specific content
- Drive traffic to your site
To tap into guest blogging to distribute your content:
- Search out relevant blogs with high domain authority. You can use Moz, Ubersuggest, or other SEO optimization tools for this.
- Find out if they accept guest posts or allow company or external links from contributors.
- Pitch your idea. Ensure it connects to the content you want to distribute, and the receiving blog’s core topic(s).
- If accepted, submit the finished article and promote it on your social media platforms too.
- Engage with blog comments on the site.
Content Syndication Platforms
If the idea of creating mind-blowing content and giving it away for free through guest posting is not for you, try content syndication. By publishing on syndication sites, you maintain the right to your content, get backlinks, and connect with a bigger audience that may have your potential buyers.
Although it’s common to syndicate two weeks after the original post has been published, Search Engine Land suggests waiting until the original content is indexed or rank higher. You can republish the whole article or parts of it.
Free content syndication sites include Medium, Slideshare, Tumblr, and LinkedIn. If you have a budget for this, you can try paid options like Taboola, Outbrain, and Scoop.it for better returns.
Podcast Hosting Platforms
Whether you’re repurposing a blog post and video to a podcast or creating a new one, having more listeners won’t hurt. To distribute your podcast:
- Seek guest opportunities
- Mention brands or influencers in your podcast
- Promote on your owned channels like email, blogs, and social media
- Submit your podcast to podcatchers and aggregators like Sticker, Overcast, and iTunes.
- Invite experts or popular guests to your podcast and encourage them to spread the word.
Keep in mind that not all content needs promoting, and not all distribution platforms have your target audience. Therefore it’s important to take a strategic approach when it comes to content distribution. Identify content that has the best chance of performing well and give it wings to fly through the right channels!